MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Wednesday 4 May 2011

Polarised Flatiron


It’s a good thing for EXIF data on image files as I had no idea how I took this image.  It says Nikon D700 shot at 24mm; so I was probably using my Tamron 24-135mm f3.5-5.6 zoom lens.   This lens is sharp, has a handy zoom range and doesn’t distort too much – all in all a good lens, if a bit heavy.  It’s quite cheap on the 2nd hand market too, around  $200-$250, which makes it a great all round lens for full frame.  Certainly a far better alternative than both of Nikon’s 24-120mm lenses.

I also used this shot as a trial image for some experimentation with GIMP – a free online image manipulation tool.  It’s nowhere near as good as Photoshop, but the price is right and it does the job for basic manipulation.  Here, I inverted the image to a negative, then added a polarisation affect and changed the contrast.  I like the end result – it’s a different photographic take on a famous Toronto Landmark.


No comments:

Post a Comment