MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Tuesday 31 January 2012

Future Camera Trends



Recently I was reading Motor Trend who asked key automotive industry executives what would appeal to the younger generations as they buy a first car.  Jack Hollis, Vice President of Scion in the US (perhaps the only automotive brand that is solely youth focussed) said something very insightful :

"There's no question that kids do care (about cars). However, when I was their age, when I was 16, 17, 18, my priority was car first, then everything else second. Today, not so much. Today it's a lot more focused on whether I have my Android or iPhone, my iPad, my digital device, because they can have an entire social life and community of friends without having to drive to see them. So is there still a desire? Yes. Is there still a want? Yes. Is there still a focus in our company to pursue them? Absolutely. But as priorities go, it's just not as high or as stressed of a priority in their life, but I still think so many of them who want to get into a car, Scion's positioning to go get them."

If auto makers have a tough time focusing today’s youth on purchasing their products, that leaves almost everything but a smart phone as a tough sell.  This got me thinking.  Today, most phones have a camera, but what if a camera had a phone?  You may think I am saying the same thing, but for me the emphasis is on camera first, then phone.

Imagine a  small camera with an APS-C or four thirds sensor with a retractable lens that was the size of a Sony NEX body (or smaller); and on the screen it had full smart phone capabilities.  It would be pocketable enough to take anywhere, yet the lens/sensor combination would make for outstanding photos.  You could then instantly upload your shots to your favourite social media sites, like Facebook or Twitter, as well as saving the photos to a flash card.  

People take their phones everywhere, so you would never miss a shot, and you could share it as you live your life.

A trend for the future?  I hope so.

Sony NEX 3 with Voigtlander 21mm f4 Color Skopar

No comments:

Post a Comment