MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Monday 23 January 2012

Canon GX1


The Canon GX1 is an interesting camera because in many ways I am not sure what it is supposed to be.  It  has an almost APS-C sized sensor with a 15-60mm fixed lens (about 28-105mm in 35mm format).   So is it a like a Canon G11 with a giant sensor?  Or is it like a Sigma DP1 or even a Fuji X100 with a zoom lens instead of a prime lens?  I am not sure either.

Here’s the rub for me – for the $700 ask you can also get a Canon Rebel with a similar sort of lens and feature set.   The only advantage I see is size, but the lack of interchangeable lenses doesn’t do it any favours in my book.  May be this is Canon’s EVIL answer, but without the IL bit; a way to differentiate it from the Rebel series, which significantly reduces development on a new mount and series of lenses.

It’s interesting to see other SLR makers diverge their EVILs away from their SLRs – both the Pentax Q and the Nikon 1 will not harm the sales of their SLR cousins, though it is reputed that the NEX had a significant impact on Sony’s Alpha SLR lines.

1 comment:

  1. I am pretty sure this is the prelude to the Canon EVIL system, which will use the same sized 1.5 inch sensor.

    ReplyDelete