MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Tuesday 17 January 2012

New Fujifilm XPro-1


The newly announced Fujifilm XPro-1 looks like being quite the camera.  It, like the X100, looks like a digital Leica and has similar controls to an M9 as well as being of a similar size.  The camera keeps the X100’s innovative hybrid optical / electronic viewfinder and APS-C sized sensor, and adds interchangeable lens ability on a brand new mount.  The Fujinon lenses also look interesting with a fast wide 18mm f2 prime, a 35mm f1.4 standard prime and a 60mm f2.4 Macro / portrait lens – certainly a great combination to have together, and knowing Fujifilm’s history, these lenses will be superb.  Fujifilm promises more lenses are on the way too.

Interestingly the APS-C sensor is different to the one in the X100, being of a new design that eliminates the need for an AA sensor, but with a colour array system to deal with artifacts like an AA sensor does. The ideas is to retain the micro lens contrast when no AA sensor is present, but deal with the problems this creates.  Fujifilm’s claim is that resolution performance is better than the full frame Canon 5D mkII, which is quite a claim.

Another interesting point is th use of the 35mm f1.4 lens as a standard lens - just like I have been using with the Sony NEX I have.  The difference is that the Fuji lens is quite a bit larger than the Voightlander 35mm f1.4 Nokton.

For me, this makes a decision between this and a NEX-7 quite difficult.  The main problem I have with the Fujifilm is that at $1,700 body only price, it is quite expensive, a good $500 more than the NEX.  For me the $1200 for a NEX-7 is already quite a stretch, given I originally paid $430 for the NEX-3 with a 16mm f2.8 lens.

So, time to wait until release, read some side by side comparisons and decide where my hard earned folding will be best spent.



By way of comparison, here’s my 1958 Leica M3 with the Leica 35mm f3.5 Summaron lens attached.  This is the legend that Fuji is paying homage to.

1 comment: