MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Monday 26 December 2011

Ricoh GX-R and Fuji EVIL


The Ricoh GX-R is an unusual camera that has interchangeable sensors, as well as lenses.  For me the interesting part is the recent availability of the Leica M Mount module.  It features an APS-C size sensor that, crucially, doesn’t have an Anti-Aliasing filter, like a Leica M8 and M9.  These filters are put in most D-SLRs have to reduce Moire aberrations and banding, but result in a reduction in sharpness.  For Leica lenses, this allows them to display their legendary sharpness and rendering that makes Leica, well a Leica.

The only problem is that it is quite expensive.  The body plus the $649 M module makes it a $1500 proposition – more than a Sony NEX-7; but without the excellent viewfinder and other excellent NEX-7 features.  The GX-R is worth considering, but probably a bit too esoteric even for me.

Recently Fuji announced that they will produce an EVIL, so if it is anything like the X-100, I am sure it will be excellent.  I really like the idea of the hybrid optical and electronic viewfinder, and I am sure Fuji will have half an eye on those users who mount Leica M mount lenses to their cameras via an adapter.

Sony NEX-3 with Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 Nokton @ f1.4

No comments:

Post a Comment