MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Tuesday 6 December 2011

Lens Review #2 - Another sharp MF telephoto – Nikkor Q 200mm f4


Around the same time I got the Nikkor 300mm f4.5, I also came across this Nikkor Q 200mm f4.  As it was a non-Ai lens, it will only mount to the newer, basic Nikon DSLRs such as D3000, D5100 and others.  As I wanted to try it out on the D90 I needed a work around.  I mounted my Nikon PK-13 Ai extension tube to the camera, then tried to fit the lens to the camera, but no go.  I tried the Nikon PK-3 27.5 non-Ai between the PK-13 and the 200mm lens, but still no go.  The Ai auto indexing lever on the PK-13 wouldn’t fit around either the 200mm lens or the PK-3.  Then I tried the Nikon M2 1:1 extension tube for the Micro-Nikkor 55mm f3.5, and as this has a smaller diameter, it fit fine.

So here’s a couple shots with the 200mm f4 and PK-13 / M2 extension tube combination, lit with a Nikon SB-800 flash.


 These photos were either shot wide open, or at f5.6; and I am quite impressed with the sharpness and colour rendition of a lens that’s already had its 40th birthday.  Check out the shots – you can easily see the dust on the camera and the glass apple in the full screen shots.



Of course, these fitment issues would not be a problem with an older Nikon film SLR like and F2 or F3,  an EVIL or video camera with an adapter, or even Nikon’s cheaper DSLRs which accept non-Ai lenses without any issues.

In summary, is it a lens worth buying?  Absolutely!  The later Ai and Ai-s lenses will get you around the issues that I had with the D90, but depending on your camera, this may be a non-issue.  These lenses don’t go for a lot of money, and are great fun to have kicking around.

No comments:

Post a Comment