MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Thursday 15 December 2011

Full Frame lens kit


Over the last 3-4 years I’ve spent a lot of time acquiring the right lenses for a full frame DSLR.  Here’s my pick of the must-have lenses.

WIDE PRIME – This is where a full frame camera really comes into its own

1.       Sigma 12-24mm f4-5.6.  The world’s widest angle rectilinear lens for DSLR's is a must-have for full frame.  Very dramatic scenes with excellent optical performance.  Can be had relatively cheaply – about $550 used.

2.       Nikon 14-24mm f2.8.    I don’t own it, but known as the world’s best wide angle for DSLRs.  Big, heavy, expensive, flares a lot; but the best.  About $1,500 used


WIDE ZOOM - Like wide primes, they're fabulous on full frame

1.       Sigma 20mm f1.8.  Not the sharpest out there, but the wide aperture and close focus make for dramatic images. About $400.


2.       Nikon 24mm f1.4 AF-S – I haven’t used this lens, but I could see it being great for full frame. About $1,700 used.  I use the Nikon 24mm f2 Ai-s manual focus which I like.


3.       Nikon 35mm f1.4 AF-S – I haven’t used this lens, but would also be great for full frame.   About $1,700 used.   I use the Nikon 35mm f1.4 Ai-s manual focus, which is only OK. About $450 used




STANDARD ZOOM

1.       Fast – The only lens is the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8.  Expensive, but the best. About $1500 used


2.       Allround – Tamron 24-135mm f3.5-5.6.  Excellent all round zoom, but no VR or AF-S.  A bargain in today’s market. About $200 used




STANDARD PRIME

Nikkor 50mm f1.2 Manual Focus – The fastest 50mm Nikon has ever made.  Fabulous with full frame, but lots of light fall off at f1.2.  About $450 used.




TELEPHOTO 

Any of the 70/80-200mmf2.8 lenses work great.  I think the Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D twin ring in particular is great value, with outstanding performance.  About $800 used.

Nikon D700 with Nikon 35mm f2 AF-D


No comments:

Post a Comment