MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Thursday 27 September 2012

Nikon D600 - First Review




Today I picked up my Nikon D600 that I had on pre-order and gave it a trial run around the house.  My initial impressions are basically what the reviews say - a cross between a D7000 and a D800, and really not all that dissimilar from my D700.  

Compared to the D700, some things are worse, others better.  It loses out on top shutter speed and a couple other small things, but it gains more resolution, live view AF, excellent video and many other things.

Some quick notes:

  •  The Live View AF works very well for a DSLR, about the same as my Sony NEX 5n and Fuji X100.
  •  High ISO seems to very clean.  I've only tested to ISO 3200 so far, but it looks very good.
  • The D600 with a Nikkor 50mm is significantly lighter than a D90 with a Nikkor 18-200mm.
  • The camera feels pro, unlike say the D90 and a D5100 I have been using lately, but not "hewn from billet metal" like the D700.


Both shots below were taken at ISO 3200.

All in all, I think this will be an excellent camera.
 



1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the new D600. Looks like a very good camera. Hopefully the Canon 6D will be similarly good.

    ReplyDelete