MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Sunday 22 July 2012

Sigma 30mm f2.8 - First Impressions


After some thought and looking around, I am now the proud owner of a Sigma 30mm f2.8 for Sony NEX.   

The 4 things I don't like about this lens are:
  1. f2.8 is not really fast enough, especially for indoors
  2. It's quite large when compare to the Sony 16mm f2.8, and only very slightly smaller than my Nikon 50mm f1.4D.
  3. It has weird 46mm filter sizes
  4. It isn't really wide enough for my tastes- my sweet spot is around 23mm for APS-C cameras, or 35mm for full frame cameras.

But I knew all this going into the purchase.  

What I have been rewarded with though is a light, versatile and sharp lens that is very useful.  A couple things I didn't expect were the rattling noises it makes when the camera is moving around and the auto focus is a little slower than I expected. 

However an unexpected blessing was finding 3x 46mm filters in a pile of filters I had - a Skylight 1A, an ND4 and a Polariser; so I'm all set!

Overall, I think this lens will be a great addition, and allow me to get a lot more use out of my NEX5n.

Lobster          Sony NEX 5n with Sigma 30mm f2.8   -   Yonge and Eglinton, Toronto, ON

Deck Chairs        Sony NEX 5n with Sigma 30mm f2.8   -   Yonge and Eglinton, Toronto, ON

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. I would probably go for the 19mm, if I decided to get a sigma auto focus lens.

    ReplyDelete