MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Tuesday 3 July 2012

Macro on a Micro Four Thirds


A couple years back I was at Edward Gardens taking a few shots when I saw a girl with a (then) new Olympus EP-1 with an adapted Nikkor 50mm f1.8 trying to take shots of a caterpillar.  Unfortunately the lens minimal focal distance didn't let her get anywhere close enough, so I decided to let her try out my Micro-Nikkor 55mm f2.8 that I happened to be using.  

The results on her camera were outstanding.  The bright light levels let her keep the ISO (and noise) down and still retain a fast shutter speed, while the 2 stops of extra depth of field created by the small sensor allowed her to get excellent sharpness across the whole of the caterpillar, even at f4. 
I tried to take a photo of the same caterpillar a few minutes later, and could not get a shot anywhere near as good.  The thin depth of field made this very tricky, and stopping down meant I had shutter speed issues to content with.

I suspect running this lens, or another full frame Nikon mount macro of some sort with the Nikon V1 or J1 with a F mount adapter would yield truly excellent macro results, as long as there was enough light around.

Nikon D90 and Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro

No comments:

Post a Comment