MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Sunday 27 May 2012

The Night Street Shooter High ISO Comparison


The Night Street Shooter High ISO Comparison - Fuji X100 vs Sony NEX 5n with Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 vs Nikon D90 with Nikkor 35mm f2

I decided to compare my 3 main cameras to help determine the best street shooter.  Leaving aside camera size and sharpness, I decided to concentrate the comparison on high ISO noise.  The test was a shot of our baby gym with very low light and the ISO was set at 6400 for all cameras.  The cameras were hand held with vertical support from the arm or our couch, with shutter speeds ranging from 1/10th to 1/40th sec. The lenses were also set at their widest aperture, though I could have set the Voigtlander on f2 to make it equal with the other two lenses.

As expected, the Fuji X100 and Sony NEX 5n are quite a way ahead of the D90.  The D90 has significant noise at ISO 1600.  With the Fuji and the Sony, it is still there but much less noticeable.   I would say that these two have at least a 1 stop advantage over the Nikon.

Though I no longer have the NEX 3, I would say the noise performance with this camera is similar to or slightly worse than the D90.  Comparing this lot with the D700, I would say it is still the champ, but not a whole lot better than the Fuji X100 or Sony NEX 5n.


 Nikon D90 with Nikkor 35mm f2

 NEX 5n with Voigtlander 35mm f1.4


 Fuji X100



No comments:

Post a Comment