You want to save some bucks by not buying new, but purchasing used camera gear can be a little daunting. Here are some tips to make sure you don’t get caught.
1) Carefully research the appropriate value of what you are looking for. Use eBay and local on line classifieds as a guide.
2) Find out from user forums if there are any common problems
3) Reply to the seller and arrange to meet somewhere like a coffee shop – ie somewhere that is safe, well lit and public.
4) Ask if the camera comes with a transferable warranty, boxes, receipt of purchase, etc.
5) Ensure you try it out, so bring your camera or lens along to give it a whirl. For cameras, check that all the functions operate correctly. For a lens, check carefully for damage to the elements, that the aperture is working and the focus and zoom rings operate smoothly.
6) Always ask for a discount, even if the ad said firm, usually you will get something.
7) When meeting people, be conscious of your surroundings and be safe in whatever you do.