MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Tuesday 15 November 2011

Maples in Fall


Like most great discoveries, great shots sometimes happen by accident.  Let me explain – for a long time I could never quite work out the best way to shoot trees with colourful fall leaves, especially from under the tree.  The huge difference in correct exposure between the leaves and the sky seemed to result in nothing working.



Earlier this week I took out the NEX with the Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 Super Wide Heliar and shot a few frames of the trees on our street.  Accidentally, I left the exposure on manual instead of aperture priority, which totally blew out the sky, but by chance, exposed the tree and leaves correctly.  The combination of dramatic ultra wide angle, strong colours from the leaves and contrast from the tree trunks made for some great shots; and as soon as I saw them on the screen, I was very happy.


Interestingly, deciduous trees lose their top leaves first, so when shooting straight up from near the base of the trunk, a tunnel like effect is created.



No comments:

Post a Comment