MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Saturday 8 October 2011

Plastic mount vs metal mount


Recently I bought a Nikon 18-105mm VR lens really cheap, as it had a broken mount.  These lenses often break the plastic mounts through either being dropped or forced the wrong way when taking them off.  I was thinking about this and wondering why Nikon would make such a crazy design flaw.

Then my wife’s friend showed me her D200, the camera which I had helped her purchase a while back.  She had given it to someone to hold on to briefly and that person had then promptly dropped it, breaking the lens mount on the attached Nikon 18-105mm VR lens.  The camera was fine, and to my surprise, everything else on the lens was fine.  No stiffness in the zoom, fully functioning electronics and no cosmetic damage.

This got me thinking – maybe Nikon had intentionally designed the camera so that a cheap to replace part always breaks upon impact, thereby saving the camera and the lens from excessive shock impact.   Then I remembered an incident about 10 years ago: my mother had dropped my Nikon F90X with Tokina 28-70mm f2.8 mounted on the front.  Though the camera wasn’t damaged, the lens barrel was bent, and the quote to fix it up was more than the lens was worth.  In other words, all the shock had been transmitted into the internals of the lens, causing extensive damage.

I asked my friend at Nikon about this and he said that yes, the plastic mount was designed to break on impact.  On more expensive lenses with metal mounts, a plastic part behind the mount is designed to break for exactly the same reason.  Very interesting how a perceived drop in quality can actually save your lens!

Cornwall Hotel roof - Nikon D90 with Nikon 18-200mm VR lens

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, many people did not understand the design purpose and take it to mean poor workmanship. I think it's a sound design, as lenses are not meant to be dropped, and if that does happen, the mount is relatively cheap to replace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lens Bubbles - Very true. The repair cost on the mounts for the 18-105mm VR lenses was next to nothing.

    ReplyDelete