MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Sunday 30 October 2011

Freelensing tilt-shift attachment


The other day, just after my recent freelensing experiments, I found some bendable black tube designed for routing things around corners in my basement work shop.  I realised that this would make the perfect freelensing attachment on the NEX.  One lens that was floating around and wasn’t ever of much use was a Fujinon 50mm f2.2 lens for a Fujica 35mm SLR camera.  This lens is very sharp and I surmised that this would work great with the tube to create a handheld tilt-shift lens.


Fortunately the lens jammed in the tube snugly, so it wasn’t long until I was able to capture some shots.  In both the orchid and the soft toys shots, the focus plane is going from the bottom left to the top right corner.  It ended up working well, but would be improved if I could mechanically attach it to the NEX, and improve the fit of the lens and tube to ensure no light came in.


I already have a Lensbaby (in Nikon mount), which my wife gave me for Christmas a few years back, but I have never been happy with it.  Even when perfectly in focus, the sharpness is poor.  I believe that to make best use of such a lens, one part of the picture must be sharp.  Soft results don’t make a good shot.
This new attachment with the Fujinon lens actually delivered much sharper results than the Lensbaby, and I still got the tilt-shift effects I was looking for.


No comments:

Post a Comment