MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Saturday 23 June 2012

Nikon 35-70mm f2.8 - My other sample


Recently I was asked to do a shoot for a family that lives close to us.  They wanted some shots of them and their children to hang up and use around the house, and I was happy to oblige.  I decided to take the Nikon D90, the Nikon SB-800 flash and a few lenses.  I packed the Nikkor 35-70mm f2.8, the Nikkor 60mm f2.8 Macro and the Nikkor 35mm f2.  

When I got there I decided to use the 35-70mm to give me a little zoom range for shooting busy children.  It worked OK, but for some reason the shots came out decidedly flat and lacking in contrast, even at f5.6.  This became significantly worse when pointed to even slightly in the direction of the sun.  I tried a lens hood, but that didn`t work.  This was very disappointing as the other sample of this lens I owned was excellent.

Growing a little frustrated, I attached the 60mm macro and suddenly all the contrast, colour and sharpness was back, and so I kept it on using it for the remainder of the shoot.  Indeed my best shots came while using this lens.  Below are two shots taken next to each other to illustrate the difference.

Once I have a bad experience with the lens, its time to let it go; and that`s exactly what I did.  These still bring good money on the used market, and this will enable me to put money towards a new full frame D-SLR.

Nikon D90 with Nikkor 35-70mm f2.8

Nikon D90 with Nikkor 60mm f2.8 micro



No comments:

Post a Comment