MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Tuesday 16 April 2013

Fisker - You're done




A few nights ago I went to the Shoppers DrugMart near us, and as I had my camera, I decided to go for a wander in the Don Mill outdoor mall.  It's a pretty cool, if not uppity and expensive shopping experience; but as I hadn't been there for a while, I noticed Fisker had a showroom there.  Certainly a good spot, given the Bridle Path is close by, but the real problem is with Fisker it's self.

Fisker was started by the well known car designer Henri Fisker, who decided to design a voluptuous EV sedan.  Except it wasn't.  The Fisker Karma is more like a range extended EV - ie it uses a petrol motor when the battery power depletes.  Unfortunately its pretty heavy, so fuel consumption on the petrol motor wasn't great, nor was performance.  The whole car was kinda half baked, resulting in fires and recalls.  

Then their major battery supplier went bankrupt.  Then 300 Karmas got wiped out by Hurricane Sandy.  Then the company started running into trouble, their US government loan was frozen and their contract assembler, Valmet in Finland, stopped production last summer.

The latest news is that Henri Fisker has been asked to leave, and the company is very close to bankruptcy.  So, pretty sure this store won't be around much longer.


Fisker store - Sony NEX5n with Sigma 19mm f2.8

No comments:

Post a Comment