MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Wednesday 19 December 2012

Nikon 28-200mm f3.5-5.6G




At the recent camera fair at the Don Valley Hotel in Toronto, I picked up a Nikon F55 and lens kit in its original box.  Sure, not a very interesting camera, but the kit lens sure was - a Nikon 28-200mm f3.5-5.6G.  I'd actually been keeping an eye out for one for the D600, so I was very pleased when I found it.  Though its a cheaply made plastic lens, its sharp and has a minimum focus distance of 44cm.  This was a huge improvement on the earlier Nikon 28-200mm f3.5-5.6D model, which was also much heavier.

I asked the guy how much it was and he only wanted $50, so I bought it straight away as these lenses go for $200 - $250 normally.  

After I bought it home I tried it out, I found it to be sharper on the long end than I expected.  However, like its competitor, the Tamron 28-200 f3.8-5.6 XR (which I had with the D700), it does have a fair bit of light fall off wide open at 28mm.  Its better at f4.5 and gone by f5.6.  Honestly, I was a little disappointed with this, but the sharpness does make up for it.

The only other issue is purely cosmetic.  The camera and lens kit was silver, which looks a bit odd on the black D600.




No comments:

Post a Comment