MISSION:

Snapshot Voyager is about my own personal photography journey. I am always looking to try something new, inquisitive as to how it works, and to the end results I might achieve.

Thursday 14 February 2013

Sigma 85mm f1.4 HSM on Nikon D600




One of my New Years resolutions was to change from a manual focus Nikon 85mm f1.4 to an auto focus 85mm f1.4 of some sort, as it is almost impossible to shoot a toddler with MF and get any keepers.  The ultra thin depth of field and a moving object relegates this to a lesson in futility.  So the lens got put in the drawer and not used, which is never a good sign.

 The only real choices for an AF upgrade for me are the Nikon 85mm f1.4 AF-D or the Sigma 85mm f1.4.  The last alternative is the very expensive Nikon 85mm f1.4 AF-S N, which is out of my league, even for a used one.  Interestingly the Sigma the does not seem to be holding its value quite as well, and used examples are now trading in the $700 - $850 range, despite most reviews suggesting the performance between the two isn't too different, with a possible edge to the Sigma.  The reviews for the Sigma generally are also good, and with the new 35mm f1.4 out, I was certainly keen if the right deal came up.

A few days ago I ended up purchasing the Sigma.  Even at f1.4, the contrast and centre sharpness is really good, and the AF reasonably fast.  Enough to ensure a good number of keepers to publish.  Sure the corner sharpness isn't as good, but Im not worried as usually I am just looking at a dreamy bokeh instead!


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful shot. It's pictures like this that makes spending money on gear worthwhile. The later Sigma lenses are excellent. I love my Sigma 50/1.4, and the 19/30mm f2.8. All excellent lenses. Seriously, there is no point in paying so much more for OEM lenses. I wish Sigma was there with the type of lenses I wanted when I was building my system. Could have saved thousands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Agreed. I really like my Sigma 12-24mm and 20mm f1.8 as well, and I'd love to get the 35mm f1.4 too.

      Delete